Family can be the most important relationship that a person has because it is often a relationship that begins at birth and continues throughout someone’s life. A person’s family plays a key role in teaching them important skills and techniques for dealing with stress. Through family guidance, people can navigate life’s challenges and trials. If someone is dealing with substance use disorder, their family can be their first lifeline for support. A family program can be instrumental in a comprehensive addiction treatment course alongside other therapeutic approaches.
If you need support in your recovery journey, choosing to enter a family program could be the first step toward both a healthier family dynamic and long-term sobriety. Not only does family therapy help with existing relationship problems, but it is also useful for addressing drug and alcohol use disorders. CeDAR offers family therapy programs and other treatment modalities for many substance use disorders. Contact us at 720.848.3000 if you’re ready to take back your life from the grip of addiction.
What Is a Family Program?
The addition does not only affect the person suffering from addiction. A person’s friends and family can also suffer trauma and pain when they watch their loved one struggle with substance use. Addiction can cause:
- Dysfunctional family dynamics
- Resentment and anger among family members
- Anxiety and depression in the person battling addiction
- Guilt and stress in the parent
- A sense of abandonment in children
A family program can help resolve these issues and allow clearer communication and better support between the patient and their family.
What Role Does Family Play In Addiction Treatment?
Family members can take up healthy roles to encourage the patient to stay sober and continue on the road to recovery. Holding patients accountable for their actions can be just as important as giving them what they need to succeed. A person’s family forms the building blocks for long-term sobriety by giving the patient a strong foundation they can rely on when they feel like giving in to cravings or stress.
What Are The Benefits Of Family Therapy?
A patient’s family can encourage and motivate the patient to make the lifestyle changes necessary to stay sober. Some of the benefits of a family therapy program can include:
- Stronger family bonds – Patients struggling with substance use often isolate themselves and push away their family members. Family therapy can give the patient the confidence that their family members will not judge or turn them away when they ask for help. A family program is a chance for the entire family to bond and gets through a difficult situation together.
- Better conflict resolution skills – Many families have difficulty solving problems because of a lack of conflict resolution skills. These skills can be trained in a family program, giving all family members the tools to communicate, approach problems without judgment, and resolve problems healthily and productively.
- Increase understanding of substance use disorders – It is common for people to judge those who struggle with substance use disorders because of a lack of knowledge about addiction as a disease. A family program is an opportunity for all family members to become more educated about the triggers of substance use and the insidious nature of addiction.
Take Part in a Family Program At CeDAR
A family program can be a critical component of a wider treatment strategy. If your family has been living with addiction, there is help available. CeDAR offers comprehensive treatment programs that help patients, and their families break free from substance use disorders. Our compassionate and understanding staff members are ready to guide you and your family through the recovery journey. Call us now at 720.848.3000 so that we can tell you more about our wide range of therapies and activities, including:
- Medical Detox Program
- Trauma-informed care
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment
- Alumni Recovery Community Events
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
This is only a small sample of what we offer at the CeDAR treatment center in Denver, Colorado. Take back your health, happiness, and future with an addiction treatment program.